Monday, January 26, 2009

Time

Anyone who reads my blog knows that I am hung up on time. It's the last week in January already. I don't know where the time has gone, but it goes. Minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years. And so it all goes, blending into something we call our life, our past. Like a film strip of all that is and was in our history. Time seems to pass faster these days and there seems less of it to go around. Is this also an illusion? Is the world spinning faster, or are we just so bombarded with stimuli that we must truly struggle to find a moment let alone stay in one?

Time stops for me when I meditate, or truly listen to music. Meditation is a practice I do daily. I have noticed significant changes in myself. A marked difference in my perceptions, actions and sense of time. Sounds and colors are in sharper focus. Things seem clearer. I take more time to do the things that matter the most. I listen harder and say less. When I worry about wasting time, it flies by. When I try to stay in the moment, I seem to have an endless supply of it. I tend to be forever measuring my moments, multi-tasking, etc. in order to get the most out of my days. Meditation is changing this mind-set for me.

A friend recently suggested that "you need to play more and take a few hours to just be; do nothing." Perish the thought! How can one "waste" a day doing nothing? And what exactly does it mean to do "nothing?" Perhaps she means to slow down, to relax and enjoy everything more. I am learning.

It's no surprise that I am fascinated with vampires. No need to rush through anything when you have forever. Every day is a gateway to an eternal existence. Would I get bored having eternity to read, write and meditate? No beach time for me but for someone so obsessed with time this idea seems appealing. The endless day to day (or night to night actually) would take on a new meaning and imagine not needing clocks or a watch.

Wow, lots to think about as I check the time on my computer. Got to run.....

2 Comments:

Blogger Rita Vetere said...

Time would indeed take on a new aspect if we, like vampires, were immortal. Whether it would be a curse or a blessing, I don't know.

9:31 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I feel the same, Denise. Maybe that's why I'm fascinated by vampires too. There never seems to be enough time to do anything these days, and it does feel as if the world is spinning faster. Every year seems to go by quicker than the previous one.

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home