Thursday, January 15, 2009

The Rise of the Lycans

I don't know about you but I have this "thing" about werewolves. Odd you might say for someone with a life long interest in anything vampire. Well...maybe, but the way I see it werewolves are misunderstood creatures. Three excellent novels about werewolves are: Bitten by Kelley Armstrong, The Passion by Donna Boyd and Night of the Werewolf by Harry Shannon. These novels showcase the best and worse of our fuzzy friends.

There is something so primal and physical about them. With a degree in Anthropology, I am continually looking at culture and subcultures as well. I am fascinated with the distinction made between vampires and werewolves. I even think I blogged about it in the past. I used the movies Underworld and Underworld Evolution to make my case. In these two movies you see the disparate natures of these two species who become enemies when one tries to enslave the other.

Vampires are generally depicted as handsome or beautiful, rich and well-dressed; educated, insightful and incredibly erotic and seductive. One can only imagine their house or apartment, richly decorated in excellent taste. Werewolves on the other hand seem messy, frumpy and probably smell funny! They have a hard time controlling their animal nature and more often than not, it gets them in trouble.

I am not expressing my opinions here, merely observations about the way in which the media has portrayed each of these supernatural beings. One of the most memorable characters is Jeremy Danvers from the novel Bitten. He is a handsome, insightful, educated, artistic werewolf. He is soft spoken, introspective and extremely powerful. He rules from his beautiful home in the country with a velvet voice and an iron will. I love him. He has stayed with me for years now and like my favorite vampire: Christian Du Maure, he has tried to rise above his basic nature. Sometimes he succeeds and other times it is much harder. Especially when emotions get in the way.

How human is that?

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Rita Vetere said...

As I am addicted to horror flicks, I have to mention the 1994 movie "Wolf". Jack Nicholson turned in a great performance as a down-and-out aging publisher who's life changes drastically after he's bitten by a dying wolf. A must-see for Werewolf lovers!

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home