Friday, January 23, 2009

A Mark in Time

I am just beginning Part Two of my current work in progress which is the second book in my trilogy. My goal is to have the entire novel finished in draft by this Spring as I take notes, redraft my chapter outline, etc.

The process for writing this novel is very different than my first novel, Immortal Obsession. I wrote and rewrote it. Then I found an editor who was kind enough to point out both the positives and negatives of it, which led to months of rewrites. It became a much better novel, thanks to him.

This novel, tentatively titled Blood Kiss, is taking form in a very different manner. There is more research to be done on 18th century Paris prior to moving ahead. I am drawn to alchemy too. A medieval form of chemistry in which the primary goal was the discovery of how to turn metal into gold. Being a lover of symbolism, I am fascinated by their meanings. Look at Nordic Runes.

There is also the element of the metaphysical involved here, as I ponder the nature of existence and truth and knowledge and how all of these things impact on my vampires; esoteric beings that are struggling in their world. I am the first to admit that there is nothing traditional about my vampires. Yes, they sleep at night, and yes, they drink blood, but they are so much more.

The traditional definition of a vampire is "a reanimated creature that wakes at dusk to drink the blood of the living." There is no room in this definition for personalities, special gifts, or the very human needs and desires that compel and control all of us.

You know, the stuff that makes us human.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Rita Vetere said...

Hi, Denise,
Another goal of medieval alchemists was to find the "philosopher's stone" to enable the creation of an elixir of immortality--a worthy occupation for a mortal-turned-vampire, perhaps?

5:52 PM  
Blogger Denise K. Rago said...

Very worthy indeed!

10:25 AM  
Blogger Denise K. Rago said...

Perhaps the "philosophers stone" was a crystal, a phantom quartz crystal! Who knows?

5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home