Tuesday, October 07, 2008

October 7th, 6:30pm

Geese honk outside my window as they fly past. The whirl of my portable heater breaks the silence as I write this post. The porch lights are already on and soon mums will replace my summer flowers. I want to curl up with a good book or a good movie, make soup from scratch, or a good meat sauce. It's time to order fire wood again, bring the fireplace tools up from the basement, check my supply of candles.

As I look out back, I realize that we have to bring in the deck furniture, empty the flower pots and begin to rake the leaves, again and again. I usually buy one bale of hay to put under the pine tree in my front yard and lots of mums for the front steps. I stock up on birdseed, salt and sand for the steps. I need to get a winter servicing for my car as well.

I have had a fall wreath on the front door for weeks now and I've put a simple candle and leaf arrangement on my dining room table as well. Fall is my favorite season, though you would never know that since I spend so much time at the beach during the summer. I love Fall. Not only do I find it beautiful but many of the most significant events in my life have taken place this time of year. I always take a deep breath once October ushers in and I don't let it out until December 1st.

The landscape changes, my wardrobe changes and I relish all this beauty before old man winter comes hobbling along and I shutter. Every winter I hear myself say how much I hate it and so I try not to focus on the external, but work on the internal- this goes for the world outside my window as well as my internal one. I read more book, watch more movies and write more while sitting in front of my fireplace; the mantle filled with candles. I am forced to slow down, to stop and listen to myself. I rest and recharge my battery for another year.

On second thought, maybe old man winter isn't so bad after all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home