Wednesday, February 03, 2010

The printed word

Just yesterday I was talking with a friend about this age we live in as being so fast and so disposable. It's not just about technology, wanting newer and better, but about the speed in which we travel, whether to the grocery store or across the country. Though it is hard to imagine life without ipods, cell phones or airplanes, I can't help but focus on books. Now we can down load books onto our desktops, kindles or various other electronic devices.

Another friend of mine who commutes into NYC every day once raved about these devices as she could carry many books with her in one device. When I saw her last week, she pulled out a paperback book she was currently reading and though her focus was on how interesting the book was, I could not help but wonder if she was still using other "devices" to read. I didn't have the heart to ask.

Reading along with buying books has always been one of my favorite activities. I remember a time when I dare not read a paperback. It had to be hard cover all the way. Obviously, my point of view has changed, but not my love of books or of reading. I meet a friend of mine once a week for coffee at our local Barnes and Noble. I also get a chance to peruse the store and I must admit I am hard pressed not to buy something. [Yesterday I bought The Snow Thieves by Elizabeth Kostova and The Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton].

Reading is a need for me, like sleeping or breathing . It's one of the last things I do at night. I can't imagine a winter night not sitting in front of my fireplace reading a good book. It's a relationship I forged as a child that sustains me and is as important as my marriage, my friendships or my family.

As I walk through Barnes and Noble I realize I am not the only one who loves the printed word, or who views a 600 page novel as an invitation into another world and can't wait to get on board. As a writer hoping to be published, I am in awe of those who are and as I jump from book to book reading the jacket or the acknowledgement page I thank them.

I dream of the day someone might be reading my book jacket or my acknowledgement page and thanking me for keeping the printed word alive and inviting them on a journey into another world. Who knows, right?

5 Comments:

Blogger Sumi Portola said...

The feel of an unopened book, filled with expectations of a new vista... the crack of the binding, the smell of ink and paper... I so agree with you, Denise!

10:36 AM  
Blogger Rita Vetere said...

Well said, Sumi.

8:30 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

Wonderful post, Denise. I agree. I prefer books over kindle. I have always loved reading and I love the look and feel of a book, as well as browsing through bookshops. I'd rather buy a book than a new pair of shoes anyday.

6:39 AM  
Blogger Linda Lauren said...

Who knows? I do, Denise! ;) You are a wonderful writer who pours forth intensity into each word so that we feel and move along with you.

I have always loved books and have done some similar B&N perusing. We are blessed to have books to open and pages to turn.

6:31 PM  
Blogger Denise K. Rago said...

Thank you all for the inspiring comments.

8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home