Monday, April 20, 2009

Breakthrough

There's simply no other word for it. As I was writing yesterday, working on Part II of my second novel, which shall remain nameless, it happened. As I generally do, I write with a skeletal outline in mind. It's in my head but rarely works out exactly as planned which can be frustrating, however, yesterday I had a breakthrough. Two characters were talking. Since they are lovers who have known each other for a very long time they both believe they still "know" each other, taking into account, but never believing how their individual life experiences have changed them.

So, they are talking... fighting actually, and words just flow, leading to discoveries and voila! A piece of the puzzle is there...like it just dropped from the sky and explains so much about who this character is. Okay, it's Christian Du Maure, my intense, solitary, mesmerizing vampire who is being taken on the ride of his life. To his credit, he has not flipped out....yet.


It's truly magic when this happens for me and them. When my characters take over and basically tell me how things will go I realize how out of my control it writing can be and I can only thank my muse for not tapping on my shoulder, but taking keyboard in hand and just banging things out.

I can't seem to really express my self but I know it feels right. Enough said.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Linda Lauren said...

So true, and such a wonderful experience for anyone who enjoys writing. And clearly, when the characters take over, we always know we are on the right road.

Glad for this breakthrough!

6:58 PM  
Blogger Rita Vetere said...

I agree with LInda. There's nothing like it when that "Aha!" moment strikes!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

I've had that experience too, and you're right, it's magic when it happens! Haven't had one of those moments for a while though.

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home