Saturday, October 04, 2008

That Double-edged Sword or the Agent Update

I have been asked when will Immortal Obsession be available to the public. Good question. I have an agent who is reading a partial of my manuscript and if she likes it I assume she will ask for more. If she doesn't, I am back at square one again. I still am waiting to hear from several other agents I queried. Hopefully they will oblige me by responding sooner than later. The waiting is a double-edge sword. In waiting/anticipating, all things are possible and who knows if I will get a another bite. I don't believe in putting all my eggs in one basket. Too risky.

A dear friend of mine who has worked in publishing for a very long time says that this is the most exciting time to be a musician or a writer. We have many more options for getting our work out there to the public and more control over it. Sounds good to me as I check the mailbox each day. I have to stay positive and focus on what I love to do - write. So I am working on my second novel in this series. This one takes place in present day California and New York. Though the story line seems clear at the moment, I am sure it will go through a metamorphosis as the characters speak to me.

Writing is hard work. Don't let anyone ever tell you differently. Those who are successful and achieve fame and monetary success deserve every penny they earn. Writing has kept me up at night. I have agonized over dialogue, love scenes, and killing characters off. I have tried to imagine the violence that some of them have perpetrated and witnessed themselves. Sometimes, it is hard to walk in their shoes.

When the muse taps me on the shoulder, I heed the call, as I am at this very moment. There is nothing more rewarding or more revealing than bearing ones' soul on the printed page. It's that double-edged sword again, folks.