Thursday, January 11, 2007

Facing the Beast

I am about to embark on a quest that is every writers dream and their worst nightmare. I am taking an on-line writing class. I submit my novel and receive my classmates novels in return and get down to the business of reading, editing and commenting on anothers work. I am sure there are stringent guidelines. I would like to think that someone would be as honest yet as kind as they could when reading my novel. I try to extend the same courtesy to other writers as well. Having others read my novel is scarey to say the least. Only one person has read my work and I handed it to him hesitantly. What if he thinks I am a total nut or worse, what if he hates the story? I am exposing my psyche and my inner world. All artists put themselves at such risk when they bare their souls. Whether it is through dance, paint or the written word we toss ourselves out into the ring for all to see and sometimes it aint' pretty. Perhaps e-mailing my novel to my classmates is less intimidating than handing them my work in person. There is still anonymity on the internet still I dread yet am thrilled about receiveing their feedback. I write about vampires, superhuman beings that are at the top of the food chain; beautiful yet deadly creatures, yet faced with submitting my work to my classmates - I'll take facing the vampires anyday.

Anyone passing by I would love your feedback. Who do you allow to read your writing? How do you feel submitting it to strangers to critique? Do you ever get over the initial dread of exposing yourself to a stranger? Is it worse letting loved ones read your work as opposed to strangers? I would love to hear from you, even you vampires.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home